Sunday, May 25, 2014

Dyeing day at Feederbrook Farm

We returned to the lovely Feederbrook farm for our last session of our fiber CSA.  We received the fiber from our sheep (we chose roving, yarn was also an option, spun at the local mill) and did a hand painting workshop with the fabulous Lisa. It was so much fun, and I'm really excited to have new skills and techniques under my belt!

A sweet, tiny little bottle baby lambie, just a few days old

Add caption

Some roving and yarn, dyed by Lisa. The bags contain the roving and yarn from the sheep, chosen by program participants

The children learned about the effects of dye applied to different colors of yarn, as well as overdyeing, before they made their color selections


Add caption

So many possiblities! They got to choose 3-5 colors for their skein

Mordanting the fiber with citric acid

Squeezing out the mordant

Laying out the yarn for dye application

Purple first, of course!

Squeezing the dye well into the fiber

After some time spent on the stove, it comes off, having absorbed and set the dye

A good rinse......

The gorgeous results of everyone's creative work

The girl and her skein

Anya's skein on the left, mine on the right. I forced myself to use colors I wouldn't normally choose (as in greens and browns)

A small swatch of my yarn. The colors, in person, remind me of raspberries and chocolate.

We have so enjoyed our monthly visits to the farm! We wrapped up the day with some mucking out of the alpaca shelter, bringing home 2 big bags of manure for the gardens. I eagerly anticipate scheduling a spinning class with Lisa, to learn to use my beautiful wheel, gifted me earlier this year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment