Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Nature Journaling

We spent a few hours this afternoon, amongst the ephermerals. We started out in search of chickweed, some to draw in our journals and some to harvest for dinner.  After a bit of journaling, we walked on, and invevitably discovered a new wonder, every few feet. "I want to put THAT in my nature journal, too!" Alrighty, then!
I really believe in nature journaling as an excellent tool to help one to really SEE the thing before them. I find that when I "know" something, I call it by it's name and sort of create a sterotype of it in my head, whether plant or animal. My husband and I were talking out this idea on our last hike. If I see something that I don't know the name label for, curiosity drives me to really experience it, and take in as much as I can.
Taking the time to look closely and record as much information (and drawn detail), whether I know a thing or not, helps me to truly SEE it. I think it's a great mindfulness/awareness/presence  tool for any age.
We don't generally pick plants that we're journaling, and when we forage, it's done mindfully and with gratitude








A break for some climbing. She discovered both Virginia Creeper and  Poison Ivy at the top, and decided to journal both on the same page, due to their similarity, when young




A wonderful way to say goodbye to the Bluebells


Wrapped up our woods time with a bit of creek play.. building a swimming hole for the fairies to say thank you... 


1 comment: